Trick Yourself Into Becoming a Morning Person
I have never been a big fan of getting up before the sun. It's just not right. As I set my alarm last night for 4:45am, I momentarily questioned all my life choices. As my alarm went off, I of course pressed snooze...twice. Woke up at 5:15 in a panic, and jumped into the shower. This is a typical morning for me. I struggle with becoming a morning person every. single. day. I am still determined to make it happen! Here are a few things I do to make my early mornings a little more enjoyable.
1. Use a sleep cycle app. I only recently discovered this gem. It is an app that you can set an alarm through (I still set up multiple backup alarms), and it will monitor your movements so it wakes you up when you are in your lightest sleep cycle. I wake up less groggy, and ready to go! It is crazy!
2. Play some jams. As soon as my (final) alarm goes off, I turn on some music. It keeps me from falling back to sleep, and it gets me excited for the day. On test days, I like playing really fun music that puts me in a good mood and takes my mind off the exam.
3. Wash my face. Even on days that I am in a big hurry, I always make sure to wash my face in the morning. It always helps to wake me up, and makes me feel fresh and ready to go, even if I don't have time to fix my hair and do my makeup.
4. COFFEE. Groundbreaking. I know. I was never really a big coffee person until med school, and now I would get it in IV form if I could. I make a big pot of coffee in the morning and drink it while I get ready. Fresh coffee brewing just smells like productivity ;-)
5. Get a head start on the day. I love staying on top of things. One way I do that is by tackling my to-do list first thing in the morning. I catch up on emails, pre-read the lectures for the day, and catch up on current events. Doing this in the morning really sets the tone for the rest of the day.
I would love to hear from the true morning people! What helps you wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed?